Summer 2017 Programs Open to All Students
We invite you to Quito, Ecuador!
You can explore the many details about this program below. In short, you'll learn tons of Spanish, live with a homestay family and have many other great adventures in Quito, Ecuador.
Learn more about what it is like to be at ACLAS in Quito (and see testimonials from students) on the About ACLAS page of this site. You can also find ACLAS our social networks.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us directly.
2017 Program Dates
You can choose to attend one program or both together.
Program 1 - Intensive Spanish and Service Learning: May 20 - June 17, 2017
Program 2- Intensive Spanish and Service Learning: June 16 - July 15, 2017
Additional weeks: It is always possible to add weeks to the end of these programs. (For example, if you want to stay for 2 more weeks after June 17 or 4 more weeks after July 15.) Contact us for price information and further details.
Program Characteristics (What is included)
BEFORE YOU DEPART AND WHEN YOU ARRIVE
- Pre-departure support - we help you get ready for your program by providing a pre-departure handbook, meeting you via video conference and answering all your questions!
- Airport transfer on arrival and departure - you’ll be picked up at the airport and taken to meet your homestay family by ACLAS staff members.
- Extensive orientation on safety and cultural adaptation - loads of information on how to live in Ecuador!
- Homestay including three meals each day and laundry - your new home away from home. You’ll fill out a registration form ahead of time to help us match you to a family that is a great fit.
SPANISH AND SERVICE LEARNING
- 60 hours of intensive Spanish language instruction at your level. Classes will be held Monday through Friday. 60 hours is typically equivalent to 3-5 U.S. credits. Please see the very important “credit notes” below.
- Service learning with a local organization for the entire program, two to four hours a week of service. You’ll be able to choose from a selection of organizations. You can find some example organizations on our service learning page.
- Find basic course descriptions on our website. If you need more detailed information (or example syllabi) please contact us.
- City tour, all transportation, entry fees, guides, tips and coordination included
- Visit the Equator, all transportation, entry fees, guides, tips and coordination included
- Support planning other activities and travel within Quito and Ecuador. Ask us, we love to help you figure out what to do in your free time! We can also help you make arrangements. We have loads of ideas and recommendations from previous students.
- Computer lab and wireless internet at ACLAS 24/7
- Access to ACLAS staff and support throughout the entire summer
- Emergency support 24/7
- Administrative costs
The cost of the program includes everything listed in the ‘Program Characteristics” Section on this page.
Program 1: $3,350
Program 2: $3,350
Program 1 & 2 together: $5,500
Contact us for more details if you'd like to add weeks to the end of the 'Program 2' option.
THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE COST
- Health insurance – prices vary. We recommend that you purchase study abroad-specific insurance but cannot recommend any companies in particular.
- Visa - if you come to Ecuador for fewer than 90 days and you are a U.S. citizen then you do not need to apply for a visa prior to departure or pay for a visa. (You’ll receive a visa when entering Ecuador.) If you’re not a U.S. citizen or plan to be in Ecuador for more than 90 days please contact us and we can give you guidance on how to figure out what you need.
OTHER PERSONAL COSTS TO CONSIDER
- Cell phone - approx. $2-$10 a week
- Local transportation (to and from ACLAS, service learning, and personal) – approx. $3-10 per week
- Passport - approx. $150
- Personal spending money
- College GPA of at least 2.25 (please contact us if you are not a current college student or have any concerns about this requirement. We are able to make exceptions in certain circumstances.)
- At least 2 semesters of college-level Spanish. This does not mean that you have to have taken Spanish in college. It just means you need to have the experience equivalent to 2 semesters of college-level Spanish. We are happy to help you figure out if you have the appropriate experience. Please contact us and we can help you figure it out.
THE REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION ARE:
- Application form (with short essay)
- Unofficial transcript
NOTES ON CREDIT
If you plan to transfer any credit you earn on this program back to your university or college please be sure to double check with the appropriate people at your institution.
Typically you can start with the study abroad office (or international office) or the registrar’s office with these questions. Please let us know if we can help you with any of these details or if your institution needs any information from us.
When you complete your courses with us at ACLAS you will receive a transcript with the number of hours you completed and a letter grade. If you need any more information in order for the credit to transfer we may be able to provide additional information, just ask.
It is very important to get all questions related to credit resolved prior to paying for your program in Ecuador. We cannot refund your program fee if you discover the credit will not transfer.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
Program 1: February 20 - extended to Feb 25 - Apply today!
Program 2: March 10
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION WITH ACLAS
We will give you instructions on how to register with ACLAS after your application has been submitted. There is no cost to registering.
Program 1: February 25
Program 2: March 15
DEADLINE FOR NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF $500
Program 1: March 15
Program 2: March 30
DEADLINE FOR NON-REFUNDABLE PROGRAM PAYMENT
We will provide full instructions on how to pay ACLAS after your application has been accepted. If you have any questions before that time please do not hesitate to contact us.
Program 1: April 3
Program 2: April 30